6-year-old: I don’t want to go to the mass today.
Papa: Why not?
6-year-old: I have to go to school everyday and Saturday. I want Sunday off!
Sweet and Sour Ribs
3 lbs pork ribs (cut to 1- 1.5″ length)
2 shallots (thinly sliced)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
7 tbs rice vinegar
6 tbs sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 lb tomatoes (cubed)
2 tsp corn starch
1. Marinate ribs with shallot, salt, and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. For sweet and sour sauce, mix rice vinegar, sugar, water, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat canola oil under medium heat.
4. Add garlic, and stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add ribs, fry until all sides golden brown.
6. Add tomatoes.
7. Add sweet and sour sauce (leave about 2 tbs sauce).
8. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes under low heat.
9. Meanwhile, mix cornstarch with 2 tbs sauce and set aside.
10. Uncover, skim fat if needed.
11. Cook uncovered under high heat until sauce reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
12. Add cornstarch mixture, and stir for another 2 minutes.
13. Sprinkle with fresh coriander if using.
14. Serve with white rice.