We had a retreat at work, and guess who came?
Jose Andres!!! Food and poverty — what more can I ask?
Grilled lemongrass-ginger quails
(Adapted from The Spices of Life)
Serve 6 as main dish or 10-12 as appetizer
1 stalk lemongrass
1 thumb-sized ginger
10 garlic cloves
4 tbs brown sugar
4 tbs fish sauce
4 tbs olive oil
- In a deep bowl, combine all ingredients except quails.
- Use a hand blender to process until mixture forms a smooth paste.
- Use a scissor to split quails in half.
- Place quails on a baking tray.
- Marinate quails with lemongrass-ginger paste.
- Cover and set aside for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Broil for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with corn side dish (receipt below).
Corn side dish
1 package of frozen corn
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs rice vinegar
4 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs mirin
2 tbs sugar
Coriander (finely chopped)
- In a saucepan, stir-fry corn with oil for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour mixture over cooked corn.
- Serve warm.