Conversation with a taxi driver in Gaborone:
Me: How long does it take to the airport? Half an hour maybe?
Him: No, less than that.
Me: So how long?
Him: About 30 minutes.
Japanese cotton sponge cake
(recipe from Savoury Days)
For a 9″-round pan
25 g all-purpose flour (sifted)
25 g cornstarch (sifted)
15 g butter
25 g canola oil
40 g milk
4 eggs (separated)
80 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 pinch of salt
Zest of 1 lemon or orange (optional)
- Preheat oven to 305 F.
- Line a 9″-round pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk all-purpose flour and cornstarch.
- In another small bowl, use a fork to mix 4 egg yolk with vanilla extract and lemon zest (if using).
- Boil water in a small pot over high heat. Place a medium bowl on top. Add milk, butter, and oil. Whisk constantly until mixture becomes warm to touch.
- Turn off the heat, and place the bowl of butter mixture on the counter.
- Quickly add flour + cornstarch. Whisk until combined.
- Add egg mixture. Whisk until combined.
- In another medium bowl, beat egg white with 1/2 tsp of cream tartar and salt. Slowly add sugar and beat until stiff peak.
- Take 1/3 part egg white and mix with egg yolk mixture in step 8.
- Carefully fold another 1/3 part egg white into batter.
- Finally, fold the rest of egg white into batter.
- Pour batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Immediately invert cake to cool on rack.