I almost felt off my chair when the kids were singing from the top of their lung: “I got lips that long to kiss you… and keep you satisfied… ohhhhh…. with love…. from me to you… youuuuuu….”
Not too fast, dude!!!!
Rice porridge with spare ribs (Cháo sườn)
(Recipe from Van Ngoc Nguyen on facebook)
1 cup jasmine rice + 1/4 cup sweet rice (soak in water for at least 2 hours)
2 lbs spare ribs (cut into 1″ length)
4 litter water
A thumb-sized ginger (sliced)
A thumb-sized ginger (chopped into matchsticks)
Coriander, (finely chopped)
Spring onion (thinly sliced)
- Marinate ribs with 1 tsp salt for 10-15 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- In a stockpot, boil 4 litter water with sliced ginger, onion, and 1 tbs salt.
- Once boiled, add spare ribs, cover, and cook for 15 minutes over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for another 40 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Discard onion and sliced ginger. Keep broth.
- Plunge ribs into a bowl with 500 ml cold water. Allow them to cool. Then drain.
- Use a food processor to process rice with 500 ml water used to soak ribs.
- Reboil broth.
- Season with salt only.
- Slowly add rice, stir constantly, over high heat.
- After 15 minutes, porridge color turns from white to transparent.
- Add ribs and ginger matchsticks. Stir gently for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with chopped coriander and spring onion. Sprinkle some ground pepper if wanted.