Checking in a hotel in N’Djamena.
Receptionist: Where are you from, Madam?
Me: I’m from Vietnam.
Receptionist (excited): I only saw Vietnamese on TV!!!
Needless to say I feel like a celebrity. Quick, come and have my autograph when I’m still here
Meyer lemon macarons
(Adapted from Use Real Butter)
110g blanched almonds
200g powdered sugar
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
100g egg whites
2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
Juice of 3 Meyer lemons
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
3 egg yolks
50g unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, sift almond flour and powdered sugar.
- Add lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and food coloring until the sugar turns yellow.
- Whip the egg whites until foamy.
- Slowly add 50g sugar.
- Use a spatula to add almond-powdered sugar mixture.
- Pour batter into a piping bag fitted with a plain tip.
- Pipe small rounds onto 3 baking sheets lined with Silpat
- Tap on the table a few time to break air bubbles if any.
- Let them air dry for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300F and bake for 10 minutes.
- Cover with a foil and bake for another 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together lemon zest, juice, sugar, egg yolk.
- Double-boil mixture until thicken (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add butter.
- Let cool completely.
- Generously pipe lemon curd onto a shell
- Sandwich with a second shell.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Take them out about 10 minutes before serving.