I was scolding 3-year-old after spending half an hour looking for her glasses.
3-year-old: But I know where they are!
Me (brighten up): Where???
3-year-old: They are in the house.
Chewy chocolate cookies
(Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen)
About 20-22 cookies
215 g all-purpose flour
35 g Dutch-processed cocoa powder
30 g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt
110 g dark corn syrup
1 large egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 tbs butter (at room temperature)
60g dark brown sugar
60g granulated sugar (plus more for rolling)
140 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, two types of cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk dark corn syrup, egg white, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the syrup mixture in (2).
- Finally add flour mixture in (1), mix until just combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in chopped chocolate pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough into small balls (about 1 tbs), and roll them in granulated sugar.
- Place on baking sheet, about 2″ apart.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Reverse the position of the baking sheet, and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Let them cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to rack.