7-year-old: Mom, we have a royal member in my school.
Me: Really? Who?
7-year-old: The PRINC-iple!
Garlic lime steak and noodle salad
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
Serve 4 as main dishes
2 lbs flank
100 g brown sugar
8 tbs fish sauce
Juice from 2 big juicy limes (about 60 ml per lime)
10 garlic (chopped)
1 package of dried rice noodle (cooked and drained)
1 lb French-style green beans (poached in boiling water for 5 minutes)
8 oz cherry tomatoes (halved)
1 English cucumber (sliced)
2 1/2 tbs sugar
2 tbs rice vinegar
1 tbs water
1 carrots (peeled and shredded) + 1 tbs sugar + 1 tbs rice vinegar
Mint and cilantro (chopped)
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and garlic until combined.
- Marinate flank with 1/3 of the garlic lime fish sauce mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or over night.
- Save 2/3 of the sauce mixture for dipping sauce.
- In a bowl, mix 2.5 tbs sugar, 2 tbs rice vinegar, and 1 tbs water to marinate sliced cucumber. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (or over night).
- Marinate carrot with 1 tbs sugar and 1 tbs rice vinegar. Set aside for 2 hours.
- On the day of serving, let marinated flank sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Broil marinated flank in the oven for 5 minutes. Flip and broil for another 4 minutes. Slice into long thin strips.
- To serve: place cooked rice noodle on a plate, add sliced flank on top. Add green beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, and chopped mint/cilantro. Finally drizzle the noodle salad with dipping sauce.