This year, I missed my 4-year-old’s Mother’s Day party because of work travel. But I received her card just in time. Apparently, my job is cleaning fruit (should have told my counterparts at the Ministry of Agriculture today). I’m 69 year old, and am gorgeous. Yes!!!
Austrian torn and fluffy pancake
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
4 large eggs, separated
2 tbs (or 25 g) sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
100 g all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (or 128 g) milk
2 tbs unsalted butter
Lemon wedges, jam, apple sauce, fruit compote, etc.
- Whisk egg yolk, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in milk, and then flour. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Use a handheld mixer to beat egg whites in another medium bowl until firm peaks.
- Fold egg white into egg yolk mixture.
- Heat a 10″ or 12″ skillet (not non-stick) over medium heat.
- Melt 2 tbs butter.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the half-cooked pancake into a large dish and slide it back to the pan to cook the other side (pour any batter stick to the dish into the skillet too).
- Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Use the spatula or a fork to tear the pancake into 1″ or 2″ in the skillet.
- Cook for another minute or so.
- Divide pancake shreds into plates.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, and serve with lemon wedge and jam.