Sitting in sweatpants, sipping wine and writing dozens of cards to 4-year-old kids I don’t even know…
Happy Valentine to parents!
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)
1 fillet of wild-caught salmon (about 1.5 lbs)
150 g kosher salt
150 g granulate sugar
40 g light brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper corns
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
Zest of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1/2 orange
- In a medium bowl, combine salt, sugar, brown sugar, pepper corns, fennel seeds and coriander seeds.
- Spread a large piece of aluminum foil on the counter, layer with an equal size piece of plastic wrap.
- Spread half of the curing mixture, roughly the same size as the fish.
- Place fish, skin side down, on the mixture.
- Sprinkle zests of lime, lemon, and orange on top of the fillet.
- Spread the remaining mixture on top.
- Cover the fish with plastic wrap, and another layer of aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 1-2 days.
- To serve:
- Rinse the fillet and pat dry
- Place the fish, skin side down, on the cutting board
- Slice the salmon thinly about 1/8″-1/4″, leave skin behind.