The day has come…
9-year-old (coming home from school one day): Mom, I look different from all my friends! Do you know why?
Me (embracing myself for a difficult discussion about race): Why?
9-year-old (excited): I’m the only one with attached earlobes.
(Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty)
1/2 small white cabbage, about 250 g (take inner leaves only, finely shredded)
1 small red cabbage, about 300 g (take inner leaves only, finely shredded)
1 firm mango (cut into thin strips)
1 small firm papaya (cut into thin strips)
1/4 cup mint (chopped)
1 bunch of coriander (chopped)
Juice of 1 big lime (about 6 tbs)
1 lemongrass stalk (chopped)
3 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs sesame oil
4 tbs canola oil
Caramelized macadamia nuts:
150 g macadamia nuts
10 g butter
2 tbs sugar + 1/4 tsp salt (mixed)
- In a large bowl, mix all salad vegetable together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, use a hand blender to combine all dressing ingredient together. Readjust the taste with sugar and salt if necessarily. Set aside.
- To make caramelized macadamia nuts:
- In a skillet over medium heat, dry roast macadamia nuts for a few minutes.
- Add 10 g butter.
- When butter is melted, add sugar and salt mixture.
- Use a spatula to stir constantly until the nuts are coated with caramelized sugar.
- Turn out onto a parchment paper or an aluminum sheet.
- Once the nuts are cool, roughly chopped.
- To serve:
- Place the salad vegetable on a bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss together.
- Add sea salt if needed.
- Sprinkle chopped macadamia nuts on top.