The first week of distance learning was hectic! We constantly had zoom/facetime/video-conference connections in the house. Needless to say, my tolerance to noise has improved significantly. As soon as we started to ease in the new routine, the kids have spring breaks. We are now officially back to the jungle.
Lemon Blossom Cupcakes
(Adapted from The Cupcake Diaries)
For 18 mini-cupcakes:
156 g all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
4 tbs butter (at room temperature)
125 g sugar
1 large egg (at room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk (at room temperature)
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
Zest of 1 lemon
For the lemon cream-cheese frosting
3 tbs butter (at room temperature)
120 g cream cheese (at room temperature)
180 g confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a mini-cupcake pan with 18 paper baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour + baking powder + salt.
- In a small bowl, mix milk and vanilla.
- In a large bow, use a handheld mixer to beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg to the butter mixture and continue to mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk. Mix thoroughly. Repeat until all dry and wet ingredients are combined.
- Add lemon juice and zest and mix at low speed.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes for mini cupcakes (or 16-18 minutes for regular cupcakes).
- Let the cupcake cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Use a handheld mixer to beat at high speed until light and airy.
- Use a pastry piping bag fitted with a large metal tip of your choice to decorate the topping.