8-year-old: If we have a baby, can you name him “Ditch”?
8-year-old: So, he’ll be Quy-ditch (quidditch)!
Creme Brulee Donuts
(From Savoury Days)
For 24 small donuts:
180 g milk
60 g butter (melted)
400 g all-purpose flour
35 g confectioner’s sugar
1 pinch of salt
20 g dry milk powder (optional)
For the custard filling:
3 egg yolks
45 g sugar
25 g cornstarch
320 g milk
For caramel topping:
150 g sugar
50 g water
To make donuts:
- In a large bowl, mix flour + sugar + salt + milk powder.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in milk + egg + melted butter.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead dough until smooth.
- Cover and let it rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Roll the dough to about 0.7 – 0.8 mm thick.
- Use a 5-cm round cookie cutter to cut dough into round shape.
- Place each donut on a piece of parchment paper.
- Cover and let it rise for about 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, fill canola oil to about 3-cm depth.
- When the oil is hot, carefully drop donut dough in, fry about 45 seconds on each side.
- Let fried donuts cool on a wire rack.
To make custard:
- In a small bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and fluffy.
- Add cornstarch and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk.
- Pour hot milk into egg mixture, mix well.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, heat over medium heat, stir constantly until thickened.
- Let it cool.
- Fill custard in a pastry bag fitted with a plain-tip.
To make caramel topping:
- In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar over medium-high heat. Do not stir.
- Cook until water evaporates and mixture turns into light yellow color.
- Dip donuts into the hot caramel topping.
- Let cool on rack.
- Pipe custard into each donut.
- Eat within a day.