5-year-old (pointing at our chimney): What is that for?
Me: To get the smoke out of the house.
5-year-old: Out where?
Me: To the sky, I guess.
5-year-old (shocked): TO GOD’S HOUSE???
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)
240 g all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter (cubed)
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 lb small heirloom or campari tomatoes (sliced 1-cm thick)
1 tsp kosher salt
2 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
120 g firm cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan), grated
1 egg (beaten)
Freshly ground black pepper
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tbs finely chopped chives.
To make the dough:
- In a food processor, pulse 240 g flour + 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt to combine.
- Add cubed cold butter and pulse until mixture resembled coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Mix vinegar with 1/4 cup ice water.
- Drizzle vinegar water onto the mixture.
- Use a fork to mix the dough (add more ice water if needed) until the mixture becomes a shaggy dough.
- Turn out onto a work surface and knead just slightly so there is no dry spots left.
- Pat into a thin disk and wrap in plastic.
- Chill at least 2 hours, or until ready to use.
- Note: Dough can be chilled in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To make the tomato gallete:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, gently toss sliced tomatoes + sliced garlic + 1 tsp kosher salt.
- Let sit for 5 minutes for the tomatoes to release some liquid.
- Discard the liquid, and place sliced tomatoes to dry on paper towels.
- Sprinkle some flours on a parchment paper.
- Unwrap dough and flour a rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough to a very thin circle (about 3-mm thick), about 14″ diameter, and the edge should be much thinner.
- Scatter cheese over dough, leave a 2″ border.
- Arrange tomatoes slices over cheese.
- Sprinkle garlic slices on top.
- Fold the edges over.
- Brush dough with egg.
- Sprinkle some sea salt and pepper on top of the tomato filling.
- Chill in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake galette for 30 minutes.
- Rotate and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle lemon zests and chopped chives on top.
- Serve immediately.