We finally had our COVID test results back.
Hubby: Babe, we are all negative!
Me: Really! Are you sure?
Apple tarte tatin with star anise and peppercorn
For a 8″-baking pan
3 lbs apples (Gala, Pink Lady, or Fuji – try to choose the small ones if you can)
100 g butter
150 g sugar
2 star anises
6-7 whole peppercorns
20 ml apple juice
1 frozen puff pastry sheet (thaw at room temperature)
Vanilla ice-cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 420 F (fan on).
- Cut the top and tail of each apple so they stay flat.
- Peel apples, cut in half, and use a melon baller to core.
- In a large pan, combine butter + sugar + star anises + whole peppercorns over medium high heat.
- Once the sugar starts to caramelize, add apples to pan, standing upright and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Note 1: You only need to cook on one side of the apples.
- Note 2: Occasionally shake the pan to make sure the caramel spreads evenly.
- Transfer the apple to a plate. Set aside.
- Add apple juice to the caramel and boil until emulsified.
- Pass the caramel through a fine sieve to remove the spices into a cup.
- Pour the caramel into a 8″ round baking pan.
- Assemble the apples on the pan, cooked side down.
- Place the puff pastry over the apples and tuck the edges down between the apples and the pan.
- Use a sharp knife to make a small hole in the center of the pastry.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let the pan rest in room temperature for 10 minutes before revert the tarte tatin onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm.