It is this lovely time of the year.
Friends near and far, here we come!
Brownies with port-soaked cranberries and peppercorns
(Adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking chez moi)
2 tbs port + 2 tbs water
160 g dried cranberries
300 g bittersweet chocolate (divided: 180 g coarsely chopped, 120g finely chopped)
100 g sugar
2 eggs (cold)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
45 g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- Line and butter a 8″-square pan.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a small saucepan, bring to boil 2 tbs port + 2 tbs water.
- Add dried cranberries and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Melt 70 g butter + 180 g coarsely chopped chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Remove the butter and chocolate mixture from the heat.
- Use a spatula to beat in the sugar.
- Add one egg at at time, and mix until combined.
- Mix in the salt and pepper
- Fold the flour in, mix gently until it disappears into the chocolate batter.
- Add port-soaked cranberries + 120 g finely chopped chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 27 minutes.
- Transfer the pan onto a rack and cool.
- Cut into 25 small squares.