Here is a big cheer to 2021! Although we didn’t have our annual New Year Eve party this year, it didn’t stop us from having a feast:
- Melted Camembert on baby greens (recipe below)
- Roasted goose with fried potatoes and apple marmalade
- Roasted beets and green beans with feta cheese
- Duel pears – pear ice-cream and pear tarte.
May the new year bring us health, joy, and success!
Melted Camembert triangles on baby greens
(Adapted from Patrick O’Connell’s Refined American Cuisine)
For the camembert triangles:
1 Camembert wheel (divided into 6 triangles)
6 square sheets phyllo dough
2 tbs butter (melted)
For the salad:
6 tbs balsamic vinegar
180 g baby greens (rinsed and dried)
5 tbs olive oil
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1 tbs maple syrup
Toasted walnuts or macadamia
Salt and pepper
To make the camembert triangles:
- On a flat surface, lay one sheet of phyllo dough and brush on melted butter.
- Place another sheet of phyllo dough on top.
- Use a scissor to cut the buttered phyllo dough into 2 strips, about 10-cm wide.
- Place a triangle of Camembert on one end of the phyllo strip and fold carefully into a triangle.
- Note: make sure to cover the corners of the cheese.
- Continue with the remaining Camembert triangles. Save the leftover butter.
- Place the Camembert triangles on a plate and refrigerate until serving time.
To make the salad:
- In a small saucepan, reduce 6 tbs balsamic vinegar by half. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the salad dressing by combining olive oil + balsamic vinegar + mustard + maple syrup + salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly mix baby greens with the salad dressing.
- On a serving plate, place some dressed baby greens in the center.
- Sprinkle some nuts on top.
- Drizzle reduced balsamic vinegar around the greens.
- On a nonstick skillet, melt the leftover butter above with olive oil over low heat.
- Add the phyllo-wrapped cheese triangles and fry for 30 seconds on each side.
- Place a warm Camembert triangle on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately.