10-year-old: Mom, do you know what I dislike the most about distant learning?
10-year-old: No snow day!!!
Chocolate green tea cookies with mochi filling
(Adapted from Savoury Days)
Make 24 cookies
For the mochi filling:
90 g glutinous rice flour
20 g confectioners’ sugar
1 pinch of salt
180 g milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
10 g butter
For the cookies:
120 g butter
80 g sugar
1 egg (beaten, at room temperature)
180 g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp corn starch
1 tbs green tea powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
50 g dark chocolate chips or chocolate bar (coarsely chopped)
To make the mochi filling:
- In a microwave-proof bowl, combine glutinous rice flour + confectioners’ sugar + salt.
- Slowly add milk + vanilla extract and mix until combine.
- Sift through a mesh strainer to remove any lump.
- Cover the bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to mix the flour batter.
- Microwave for another 2 minutes (or until the mochi is cooked).
- Add butter to the hot mochi.
- Use a spatula to combine.
- Use a pestle to crush the mochi until it becomes very elastic and less sticky.
- Note: wrap the pestle in a piece of plastic wrap, so you don’t have to spend a lot of time cleaning.
- Roll the mochi into a log.
- Wrap it in a parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hour.
To make the cookie:
- In a medium bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat butter + sugar until the mixture turns light yellow.
- Slowly add the beaten egg and continue to mix until combined.
- On a separate bowl, sift all-purpose flour + corn starch + green tea powder + salt + baking powder.
- Add 1/3 flour mixture to the egg-butter and beat just until combined.
- Continue with the remaining flour mixture.
- Use a spatula to fold in the chopped chocolate pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 340F.
- Divide mochi into small balls, about 8-9 g each.
- Divide cookie dough into small balls, about 19-20 g each.
- Flatten a piece of cookie dough and place a mochi ball in the center. Roll it into a ball.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.