I totally didn’t expect my hubby to be this handsome.
Courtesy of 6-year-old. Happy Father’s Day!
Vietnamese braised and caramelized fish
(Adapted from Vanh Khuyen Le)
2 lbs sardines (or salmon, catfish, mackerels, etc.)
2 tbs sugar
8 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp chili paste (to taste)
2 tbs sugar + 2 tbs water
1 tbs canola oil
3 garlic cloves (peeled, finely chopped)
1 shallot (peeled, finely chopped)
a small bunch of scallions (green and white parts separated, chopped)
200 ml coconut water
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tbs sugar + 8 tbs fish sauce + 1 tsp ground pepper + chili paste.
- Add sardines, cover, and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbs sugar + 2 tbs water over medium heat.
- Once the sugar is caramelized, add 1 tbs canola oil to stabilize the caramel.
- Add chopped garlic + chopped shallot + chopped scallions (only the white part) and fry until fragrant.
- Add sardines in one layer and fry both sides over medium heat.
- Pour the remaining marinated sauce into the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut water and cook uncovered until most water evaporates, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped green scallions before serving.