What will happen when you and your foodie friends are fully vaccinated?
We celebrated with a Top-Chef show. Everyone came and prepared a dish in the same kitchen. The catch? We all had to use lemongrass as a common ingredient. Our menu includes:
- Lemongrass-infused gin tonic
- Baked Japanese sweet purple potato with lemongrass crème fraiche
- Sweet potato, coconut milk, cashew, and lemongrass curry (recipe below)
- Grilled lemongrass-ginger marinated pork shoulder and seabass
- Lemongrass-infused crème brulee.
I won’t show you the mess we made in the kitchen.
Sweet potato, coconut milk, cashews curry
(Adapted from Green Feast: Autumn and Winter)
Serve 4 as main dish
For the potatoes:
600 g sweet potatoes (peeled, cut into 3/4″ cubes)
400 g yukon potatoes (peeled, cut into 3/4″ cubes)
2 tbs canola oil
For the curry:
15 green cardamom pods (keep the seeds)
2 tsp cumin seeds
2″ cinnamon stick
3 tsp coriander seeds
4 cloves garlic (peeled)
1 hot red chiles (peeled and seeded)
2 stalks lemongrass (sliced)
35 g ginger (peeled)
1 lime (zested and juiced)
2 tbs canola oil
75 g cashew (or replaced with hazelnuts if allergic to cashew)
400ml can coconut milk
A small bunch of cilantro
Cooked rice or naan
To make the potatoes:
- In a shallow skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes and potatoes.
- Lightly brown the potatoes.
- Set aside.
To make the curry:
- Use a spice grinder to finely grind cardamom seeds + cumin seeds + cinnamon + coriander seeds.
- Use a food processor to process the spices above + garlic + chiles + lemongrass + ginger + zest and juice of 1 lime + canola oil + cashew. It will become a thick paste.
- In a nonstick frying pan, cook 4 tbs of the paste above for 2 or 3 minutes until fragrant and slightly brown. Stir constantly.
- Add coconut milk and cilantro leaves.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Divide the potatoes among 4 plates.
- Spoon the curry sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with some cilantro leaves (optional).
- Serve with white rice or naan.