Shrimp paste on sugarcane (Chạo Tôm)
(Adapted from Viet World Kitchen)
Serving 5 as main dishes
1.5 lbs medium shrimps (peeled and deveined) + 1 tbs salt
1 extra large egg
1 tbs cornstarch
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs fish sauce
1/4 tsp ground pepper
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 shallot (minced)
1 tbs canola oil
1 can sugar cane
Canola oil to fry
12 tbs water
4 tbs sugar
6 tbs fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 red chili (deseeded, minced)
Herbs (mint, cilantro, Vietnamese red perilla etc.)
Cucumber (thinly sliced)
To make shrimp paste:
- In a colander, toss shrimps with 2 tbs salt.
- Rinse thoroughly and blot dry with paper towel.
- In a food processor, process egg + cornstarch + sugar + fish sauce + ground pepper + garlic + shallot + canola oil
- Add shrimps and process until a coarse paste forms.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, ideally 2 hours.
To make shrimp paste on sugarcane:
- Quarter sugarcanes into thin strips.
- Line a steamer tray with parchment paper.
- Dip your hand in water, scoop a ball of shrimp paste and wrap it around a sugarcane strip.
- Place it onto the lined steamer tray.
- Continue with the rest of the paste and sugarcanes.
- Steam for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool.
- Before serving, fry the shrimp paste on sugarcane on a non-stick skillet with canola oil until golden brown.
To make dipping sauce:
- In a bowl, mix water + sugar + fish sauce + lime juice.
- Add minced garlic and chili.
- Serve the fried shrimp paste on sugarcanes with cooked vermicelli, lettuce, cucumbers, and herbs.
- Serve dipping sauce on the side.