As we were in Corsica this summer, 10-year-old read excessively about Napoleon Bonaparte…
10-year-old: Why did it take 5 hours to put a crown on your head?
– Here you do it.
– No, you do it.
And finally, Napoleon said “Fine, I’ll do it”. He crowned himself. After 5 hours.
(History lesson went very well!)
Japanese octopus salad
1 fresh cleaned octopus (about 2 lbs)
2 English cucumber (seeded and sliced)
1 tbs salt
100 g wakame seaweed
5 tbs rice vinegar
2 1/2 tbs sugar
1 tbs soy sauce
Salt to taste
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Nori sheet (optional)
To cook the octopus (thanks, Andrei!):
- Boil a large stockpot of water over high heat.
- When the water boils, dip the octopus 3 times to blanch it.
- Lower the heat so the water can simmer.
- Put the octopus back to the stockpot and cook for 50 minutes
- Note: Readjust the cooking time to the size of the octopus.
- Drain and set aside.
To prepare the salad:
- In a large bowl, sprinkle 1 tbs salt to the cucumber slices. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Wash the cucumber to remove the salt and squeeze out the exceed liquid.
- Cut the octopus into bite size.
- In a small bowl, mix rice vinegar + sugar + soy sauce + salt.
- In a large bowl, mix cucumber slices + octopus + seaweed.
- Add the vinegar mixture and readjust if needed.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle the salad with sesame seeds and shredded nori if using.