7-year-old: Mom, why does Shampoo have Poo in it?
Tender flat iron steak
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)
Serving 5 as main dish
1.5 lb flat iron steak
4 garlic cloves (peeled, thinly sliced)
4 tbs olive oil
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce (or replace with 2 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp white wine vinegar + 2 tsp ketchup)
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbs butter
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, make the marinade with garlic slices + olive oil + balsamic vinegar + soy sauce + Worcestershire sauce + baking soda + ground pepper.
- Use a sharp fork to prick the flat iron steak.
- Marinate the steak with the sauce in step (1).
- Let it rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour or cover and refrigerate over night.
- Heat 1 tbs oil on a large skillet over medium heat.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and cook until deeply browned (about 5 minutes).
- Turn over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the marinade into the same skillet + 1/3 cup water.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tbs butter and whisk vigorously. Reserve the sauce.
- Thinly slice the steak and arrange on a plate.
- Spoon sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve with fried potatoes (or mashed potatoes) and simple salad.