One day we got home late from work, and there was nothing much in the kitchen except a bag of flour, a few eggs, a lime, and some raw shrimps. The kids were whining. We need something fast. So of course I relied on my best friend, Google and came across this recipe. It turns out to be one of the best pasta recipes we have ever had. Bonus: everything can be done under 30 minutes!!
Lemony Shrimp Pasta
(adapted from Food Network)
600g fresh pasta (or dry pasta)
1 lb large shrimp with shells (31-40 count)
1/2 onion (chopped in big chunks)
6 minced garlic cloves
Zest and juice of 2 lemons (or limes, divided)
5 tbs olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes (skipped)
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1 tbs butter
Parsley or mints
- Peel the shrimps, reserve shells for the stock.
- In a bowl, combine shrimps, garlic, zest and juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Set aside to marinate.
- In a small pot, add shrimp shells and onion. Cover with just enough water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. If you have time, simmer for 20-30 minutes to bring out the flavor.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender and still slightly under cooked. Strain, and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat, add the shrimps and reserve the marinade. Quickly cook until shrimps turn pink. You want under cooked shrimps here. Transfer shrimps to a plate.
- Add shrimp stock, shrimp marinade, and 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water. Cook until the sauce reduce by half.
- Add zest and juice of the remaining lemon, and butter, and parsley (if using).
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Quickly add pasta and shrimps to the sauce, and stir until just combine.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with some chopped mints if using.