This creamy potato gratin is very tasty. The recipe calls for lots of cheese but it’s not necessary. Go for it if you don’t feel there’s enough dairy in this dish 😉
Classic Potato Gratin
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)
3 lbs russet or Yukon potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 tbs butter
2 shallots, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tbs dried thyme
90g Gruyere, grated (optional)
30g Parmesan, grated (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut 1 garlic clove in half and rub the inside of a 3-qt. shallow baking dish with cut sides. Smear butter all over inside of dish.
- In a saucepan, bring shallots, cream, milk, salt, pepper, thyme, and remaining 4 garlic cloves to a simmer. Cook until shallots and garlic are very soft, 15–20 minutes.
- Use a handheld blender, blend until smooth.
- Arrange potato slices in prepared dish.
- Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 75 minutes.
- Top potatoes with cheese (if using). Broil until golden, about 5 minutes.