At the airport…
4-year-old: Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
Me: Count to 100 and we’ll be there.
4-year-old: 1..2..3…… 11..12.. Okay fine, I’ll wait.
Bourbon Caramel Popcorn
(From Use Real Butter)
3/4 cup popcorn kernels
150 g sugar
3 tbs butter
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/2 tsps kosher salt
4 tbs bourbon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
To make the popcorn:
1. If your microwave has a popcorn option, use it.
2. If not, pour 3 tbs of canola oil into a large saucepan with lid.
3. Drop 4 corn kernels into the pan.
4. Cover and cook at high heat.
5. After you hear 4 pops, turn off the heat.
6. Pour in all of the kernels and cover with lid.
7. Wait 30 seconds.
8. Turn the heat to high.
9. The popcorn is done when you no longer hear popping.
10. Pour them in a big bowl and set aside.
To make the caramel:
1. Prepared a baking sheet lined with a Silpat.
2. Place sugar + butter + vanilla extract + kosher salt + bourbon in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
3. Stir until the sugar melts.
4. The caramel will begin to turn a yellowish color after about 5 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat immediately.
6. Quickly stir the baking soda into the caramel (it will balloon up, so keep stirring to prevent it from bubbling over).
To make the caramel popcorn.
1. Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn bowl.
2. Stir the popcorn with the caramel as quickly as possible.
3. Spread the caramel popcorn out onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Let it cool.