Guess who crashed the Halloween party?
Pumpkin Bread Rolls
(Adapted from Savoury Days)
For about 30 small “pumpkins”
500 g butternut squash (seeded, peeled, and cubed)
1 cup (255 g) milk
6 tbs unsalted butter (melted)
90 g sugar
6 g salt
11 g active dry yeast
720 g all-purpose flour (sifted)
1 egg white (for brushing, optional)
Cream cheese (for filling, optional)
- To cook the butternut squash: wrap butternut squash in a large piece of aluminum foil, bake at 400F in oven for about 30 minutes, or 360F using AirFryer for about 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to puree the cooked butternut squash.
- In a large bowl, mix 260 g pureed butternut squash with the rest of the ingredients except egg white.
- Gently knead to combine all ingredients.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let it rest until doubled.
- Divide into 30 balls, about 40-45 g each.
- If using, place a small piece of cream cheese in the center of each ball, shape into a round smooth ball.
- Place dough balls on 3 lined baking trays.
- Use a long thin kitchen thread to tie the balls (see photo below – courtesy of Lauren Caris Cooks).
- Cover and let the balls rest for about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg white if using.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes.
- Rotate trays in the oven.
- And bake for another 5 minutes.