6-year-old started to take notes when mom’s cooking.
I’m so proud!
Pan Fried Buns
(for 20-22 mini buns)
200 g cabbage (finely chopped)
2 tsp salt
200 g ground pork
4 tbs water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ground pepper
6 spring onions, green part only (thinly sliced)
350 g all-purpose flour
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 tbs canola oil
1 cup water + 1 tbs corn starch + 1 pinch of salt
2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
1 tbs sesame seeds
To make dough:
- Mix flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and water.
- Knead to form a smooth dough ball – add flour or water if needed.
- Let is rise until double, about an hour.
To make filling:
- Stir cabbage with salt.
- Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain cabbage.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 tbs water at a time to pork. Mix well. Take the pork mixture up and throw back to the bowl a couple of time, it will make the mixture sticky.
- Stir in salt, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and ground pepper.
- Finally add drained cabbage and spring onions.
To make buns:
- Divide dough into 20-22 parts.
- Form a ball, and set aside for 30 minutes, cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Divide filling into 20-22 balls.
- Flatten dough ball, place filling in the center and make a bun.
To cook buns:
- In a 12″ non-stick skillet, heat oil in low-medium heat.
- Arrange all buns in skillet.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes only (watch out or buns may get burnt easily).
- Add corn starch + water mixture.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle sesame seeds and spring onion slices.
- Add sesame oil.
- Cover and cook for another minute.
- Uncover and cook until all water evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a big plate.
- Serve with soy sauce + rice vinegar + spring onion slices.