Our 6-year-old starts to have homework that requires computer. Sharing one with mom and dad is sometimes hectic, so she decides to have her own:
Alright, Santa Claus comes early this year. Now she just needs to figure out how to share with her siblings. Good luck with that!
Buche de Noel
(Adapted from Savoury Days)
A. Rolled cake (for 12″ x 17″ pan)
90 g all-purpose four
40 g corn starch
50 g cocoa powder
30 g milk
70 g butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
200 g sugar
2 g salt
- Line 12″x17″ pan with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, corn starch, and cocoa powder.
- In another small bowl, warm milk and butter in microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract to butter-milk mixture. Keep warm.
- In a double boiler, heat eggs, sugar, and salt until warm to touch.
- Use hand mixer to beat egg mixture until smooth and ribbon-like. Note: when you lift whisk attachment, egg mixture will fall like a ribbon, and it will take about 10 seconds for the ribbon to disappear.
- Use a spatula to gently fold flours to egg mixture.
- Take about 5 tbs batter to mix well with butter-milk-vanilla.
- Gently incorporate (7) back to batter.
- Pour batter into lined pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Unmold to a clean towel.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the edges.
- Roll when cake is still warm.
B. Coffee-rum liquid
1 shot of strong espresso
3 tsp sugar
1 tbs rum
- Combine all ingredients.
- Unroll cake.
- Brush coffee-rum mixture on top of the cake.
300 g heavy cream
70 g sugar
3 tbs cocoa powder
- Use hand mixer to beat heavy cream under medium speed.
- Slowly add sugar.
- Finally add cocoa powder.
- Spread a thin layer of mocha-cream on top of the cake.
- Roll the cake.
- Spread another thin layer of mocha-cream all around the cake.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour before adding chocolate ganache.
D. Chocolate ganache
260 g semi-sweet chocolate
25 g butter
230 g heavy cream
- Heat heavy cream in a small sauce pan.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add chocolate and mix just until melt.
- Add butter
- Pour chocolate ganache over rolled cake.
E. Mushroom (optional)
1 egg white (room temperature)
1 pinch of salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
50 g sugar
1 chocolate square (melt in microwave)
- Preheat oven to 210 F.
- Prepare one piping bag with round tip.
- Use a hand mixer to beat egg white with a pinch of salt.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Slowly add sugar.
- Beat until stiff.
- On a lined baking tray, pipe egg white into round and long shapes (mushroom head and feet).
- Bake for about 1 1/2 – 2 hrs.
- Use melt chocolate to glue mushroom head to mushroom feet.