The kids are so ready! Here is the letter to Santa from our 6-year-old:
Thank you for giving me gifts. I will make cookies and milk for you, Santa. What are you giving to me? Do not say it.
Of course, today we made cookies for Santa.
(Adapted from David Lebovitz)
4 egg yolks
190 g sugar
150 g butter (room temperature)
1 tsp fleur de sel
210 g all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 egg yolk + 1 tsp milk (optional)
- Use hand held mixer to beat egg yolks and sugar until pale.
- Use the same mixer to cream butter and fleur de sel.
- Combine egg mixture to butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and baking powder.
- Use a spatula to gently fold flour into egg-butter mixture. Don’t overmix.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. or best overnight. Note: Dough is very soft.
- Line 2 baking sheets with Silpat or parchment papers.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix egg yolk and milk, if using.
- Roll dough until it’s about 1cm thick. Note: roll between a Silpat and a parchment paper to minimize the mess.
- Cut out circles and place on lined baking sheet. Note: Because dough can get soft every quickly, roll and cut a small piece of dough once at a time.
- Brush cookies with egg wash if using, and use a fork to cross hatch a pattern.
- Bake one sheet at a time, for about 12 minutes.
- Cool on rack.