4-year-old and 6-year-old are talking to each other in French:
4-year-old: How do you say “China” in French”? (Comment on dit en Français “China”?)
4-year-old: United States?
6-year-old: États Unis.
Classic crème caramel
(Adapted from 1080 Recipes)
For 6 ramekins
100 g sugar
40 ml water
A few drops of lemon juice
500 ml whole milk (or 400 ml skim milk + 100 ml heavy cream)
1 tsp vanilla extract
60 g sugar
- To make the caramel: in a sauce pan, combine sugar and water.
- Cook over low heat until golden.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Immediately pour caramel into ramekins.
- Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- In a sauce pan, boil milk and vanilla extract.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until light.
- Gradually stir in hot milk, and whisk constantly.
- Strain to each ramekin.
- Put ramekins in a roasting pan with hot water cover about halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Turn out onto a shallow dish and serve.