Our son turned FIVE!!! Of course, he asked for a dinosaur cake! Well, at least he has Ogura… and plastic dinosaurs 🙂
(Adapted from Joseph Tran)
For two 8″-round cake pans
5 egg whites
A pinch of salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
75 g sugar
5 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
60 g canola oil
80 g fresh orange juice from 1 large orange (can be substituted by milk, coconut milk, etc.)
75 g all-purpose flour (sifted)
- Line 2 cake pans with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 310F.
- In a clean bowl, use handheld mixer over medium speed, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt and cream of tartar.
- Add sugar, continue to beat until stiff. Set aside.
- In a big separate bowl, use the same handheld mixer, beat egg yolks and one whole egg for a few minutes.
- Add canola oil, and continue to beat for another minute.
- Add orange juice, and mix until combined, another minute.
- Add sifted flour, mix until combined, a few more minutes. Do not over mix.
- Use a spatula to gently fold egg white into yolk-flour mixture.
- Divided batter into 2 prepared cake pans.
- Gently tap pans onto a kitchen counter to break any big air bubble.
- Place a pan with boiling water in the lowest rack of the oven.
- Place cake pans on the middle rack.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Let cool on rack.