6-year-old’s note today:
“If I were a grown up for the day, I would work at the World Bank”
Fish paste noodle soup (Bun mam)
(Adapted loosely from Eva)
1 can fish paste
20 jumbo shrimps with heads (if no heads, use 1 lb pork bones or ribs)
2 lemongrass stalks (cut into 2″ length)
1 lemongrass stalk (finely minced)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 shallot (minced)
1 small eggplant (cubed)
4 squid bodies (sliced)
2 white fish fillets (cubed)
2 lb roasted pork (sliced, recipe here)
Salt, fish sauce, canola oil
- Boil water in a large pot, add fish paste and cook until soft. Strain and set aside.
- In the same pot, boil water with shrimp heads and peels (or pork bone/ribs) for about an hour.
- Discard shrimp heads and peels.
- Add 2 lemongrass stalks and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat about 3 tbs canola oil, fry garlic until slightly golden.
- Add minced shallot, fry until fragrant.
- Add minced lemongrass.
- Add eggplant and splash of fish sauce. Fry for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- When broth boils, season with salt and fish sauce.
- Poach fish, shrimp, and squid in boiling broth. Set aside.
- Add fried eggplants mixture into the broth.
- To serve, put cooked noodle in a bowl, place some fish pieces, squid, shrimps, roasted pork slices, and eggplants. Add hot broth. Serve with herbs.