I just got back from a gruesome 3-day training where we were taught by ex-marines to stay alive in a hostile environment.
Of course, I complained to my hubby since he didn’t have to take it.
“No need for any training, babe. I’ve been living with you for years!”
Chiffon cake and variation
(Adapted from Tran Ngu’s facebook)
For 10″ chiffon pan
8 large eggs (separated)
120 g cake flour
120 g sugar
1 large orange (80 g juice + zest)
64 g canola oil
1 tsp cream of tartar
250 ml heavy cream
4 tangerines (peeled segments + zest)
2 tbs orange marmalade + 1 tbs boiling water
1 tbs Grand Marnier
Mint leaves (optional)
To bake orange chiffon cake:
- Preheat oven to 280 F.
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolk + cake flour + 40 g sugar + 80 g orange juice + oil + zest.
- In another large bowl, beat egg white under low speed until big bubbles appear.
- Add cream of tartar + 80 g sugar.
- Beat under medium speed until stiff.
- Use a whisk to mix 1/3 egg white to flour mixture.
- Still use the whisk to add another 1/3 egg white to the batter.
- Finally, use a spatula to fold the remaining 1/3 egg white to the batter.
- Pour batter to a chiffon pan (there is no need to grease the pan).
- Cover with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil.
- Increase to 310 F.
- Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Let it cool completely in pan, place upside down on a wire rack (about an hour).
- When cooled, run a blunt knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake.
Note: If you don’t have oranges, replace with 80 g milk + 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Beat heavy cream + zest + confectioner’s sugar until stiff. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix orange marmalade + boiling water + grand marnier. Set aside.
- Slice cake horizontally into two layers.
- Brush orange marmalade mixture on the first cake layer.
- Spread a thin layer of heavy cream mixture.
- Place the second cake layer on top.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Spread a thin layer of heavy cream on top and around the cake.
- Arrange tangerine segments and mint leaves on top.
- Brush orange marmalade on tangerine segments to keep them fresh.