5-year-old: I know how to say “duck” in many languages.
Me: How do you say it in Vietnamese?
Chicken noodle soup
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
2 lbs of chicken wings + 2 drumsticks (or 2 carcasses leftover from a roast)
4 quarts water
1 large onion (peeled, halved)
2 garlic cloves (peeled, smashed)
1 large carrot (peeled)
1 celery rib
1 tbs kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tbs tomato paste
1 bay leaf
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 large carrots (peeled, diced)
1 large leek (trimmed, sliced into 1/2″ pieces)
2 celery ribs (chopped)
9 oz noodles of your choice
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to gentle simmer.
- Skim foam.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 hours. Note: Alternatively, use a slow cooker and cook on Low for 10 hours (or High for 5 hours).
- Add chicken breasts and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken breasts and set aside.
- Add diced carrots, leek, celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop chicken into small pieces.
- Add chicken back to the soup, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley if using.