5-year-old: I know how to say “duck” in many languages.
Me: How do you say it in Vietnamese?
Chicken noodle soup
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
For a 7-quart slow cooker
2-3 chicken carcasses
5 quarts water
1 large onion (peeled, halved)
3 garlic cloves (peeled, smashed)
1 large carrot (peeled, cut 2″ length)
2 celery rib
1 tbs kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 oz tomato paste
2 bay leaf
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast thighs (cut into 1″ cubes)
3 large carrots (peeled, diced)
1 large leek (trimmed, sliced into 1/2″ pieces)
2 celery heads (chopped)
1/2 lb dried spaghetti (brake into 2″ length)
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to gentle simmer.
- Skim foam.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 hours. Note: Alternatively, use a slow cooker and cook on Low for 10 hours (or High for 4 hours).
- Taste and season with salt.
- Add chicken pieces and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add diced carrots, leek, celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Taste again and readjust if needed.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley if using.