5-year-old’s song just gets better and better. Here is his song for mommy today.
“My butt got stuck on the elevator door.
My butt turned green and the lady screamed.
Now it’s the end of the butt machine.”
Chinese Char Siu Chicken
(Adapted from Van Ngoc Nguyen)
8 chicken thighs, boneless, skin-on
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbs all-purpose flour
1 tbs canola oil
1″ ginger (sliced)
3 spring onions (cut into 2″ length)
1/2 onion (coarsely chopped)
3 garlic cloves (halved)
2 tbs corn syrup
6 tbs light soy sauce
2 tbs mirin
2 tbs vodka
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 cup water
- Rub salt and pepper on chicken meat.
- Rub all-purpose flour on chicken skin.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbs canola oil over high heat.
- Place chicken pieces, skin-side down, on skillet. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Once the skin is crispy, discard half of the oil in the skillet.
- Flip the meat, this time, skin-side up.
- Add ginger, spring onion, onion, and garlic.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix all sauce ingredients.
- Add sauce to skillet.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Flip chicken pieces, skin-side down, for 30 seconds – 1 minutes.
- Flip back, skin-side up.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before chopping to bite-sized pieces.