Here I am… one leg in Zimbabwe and one leg in Zambia…
Can’t complain I have short legs any more!
Lychee salad with coconut sauce
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)
½ habanero chile (seeds removed, optional)
1 13.5-oz can coconut cream
1 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 20-oz can lychees (drained, halved)
1/2 small red onion (thinly sliced)
1 Chinese sausage (sliced, fried until crispy, and finely chopped)
6 garlic cloves (thinly sliced, fried until crispy)
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves (chopped)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves (chopped)
1/3 cup roasted almond (chopped)
To make coconut sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, simmer chile (if using) and coconut cream until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Discard chile.
- Add vinegar and sugar.
- Season with salt.
- Let cool.
- In a salad bowl, add chopped basil + cilantro + mint.
- Arrange on top of the salad: onion slices + lychees + fried garlic + chopped sausage + roasted almond.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top.
- Add a pinch of kosher salt.
- Before serving, pour coconut sauce on top. Mix well.