Differences between men and women…
Me (calling hubby): Surprise! I’ll take you out for a nice lunch today.
Hubby (beaming): I love you, babe!
A few weeks later…
Hubby (bringing home flowers): Surprise!
Me (suspicious): What did you do?
And dear friends, happy Lunar New Year from all five of us to you!
(Adapted from Savoury Days)
1 Japanese cotton sponge cake with 4 eggs (recipe here) + 2 tbs milk
2 lbs organic strawberries
7 g gelatin
4 egg yolks
100 g confectioner’s sugar
35 g corn starch
400 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
200 g heavy cream
150 g heavy cream
1-2 tbs confectioner’s sugar
To bake cake:
- Use a 12″ springform pan to bake a cake for the base of fraisier.
- Brush 2 tbs milk on top and set aside.
To make egg custard:
- In a small bowl, sprinkle 7 g gelatin on 1 tbs water.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with confectioner’s sugar until the color turns light yellow.
- Sift corn starch into the sugar-yolk mixture.
- Gradually add milk and whisk well.
- In a medium saucepan, pour the egg mixture through a sieve to avoid any lump.
- Cook over medium heat, whisk constantly, until thicken.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add gelatin and mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- When the custard is cool, whisk heavy cream until stiff and add to the cool egg custard.
- Add custard in a piping bag.
To make topping cream:
- Whisk heavy cream with sugar until stiff. Set aside.
- Cut about 12 strawberries in half.
- Slice about 10 strawberries thinly to decorate on top.
- In the same springform pan, layer the cake in the bottom.
- Arrange halved strawberries on top of the cake, and around the pan, cut side against the pan.
- Arrange strawberries on top of the cake. Make sure they fit snugly to each other.
- Pipe egg custard until it almost covers the strawberries.
- Add topping cream.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Decorate with sliced strawberries.