Passionate letter between father and son…
Pomegranate and fennel glazed rack of lamb
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)
3 tbs chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tbs dried oregano)
2 tbs olive oil
4 tbs pomegranate molasses, divided (you can buy in Whole Foods)
3 tbs fennel seeds, divided
1 large fennel (thinly sliced)
1 small onion (thinly sliced)
3 1.5-lb racks of lamb
2 tbs white vinegar
Fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl, mixed chopped oregano, olive oil, 3 tbs pomegranate molasses, 2 tbs fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, and ground pepper.
- In a deep baking tray, toss sliced fennel, onion, 1 tbs pomegranate molasses, 1 tbs fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, and ground pepper.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sear lamb on each side until brown.
- Place lamb on top of the fennel-onion mixture.
- Generously rub lamb with marinate from (2).
- Roast for 25 minutes for medium-rare, or 30 minutes for medium.
- Transfer lamb to chopping board and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Return the baking tray with fennel and onion to the oven.
- Turn off the heat, and let the vegetables sit for 15 minutes.
- Toss vegetables with vinegar and half of pomegranate seeds.
- Serve lamb over vegetables, sprinkle with the remaining pomegranate seeds.