We just got back from a road trip to Michigan and Tennessee. What a drive! A super cool thing we learned from this trip is that we could travel the world in 8 hours! I’m serious. From Michigan to Tennessee, we passed by Sidney, Versailles, Paris, London, Manchester, … you name it. How cool is that!
Rolled Pavlova with fresh fruits
(Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi)
For the meringue:
250 g egg whites (about 6 large eggs)
375 g sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp cornflour
For the filling:
300 ml heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
30 g confectioner’s sugar
60 g toasted nuts (sliced almond, shelled pistachio,…)
5 ripe stone-fruits (peaches, plums, nectarine,…) cut into 0.5-cm segments
300 g berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries,…)
To make the meringue:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (convection mode)
- Line a 11″x13″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- Note: leave 1″ paper to hang over the sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar, beat constantly until stiff peaks and glossy.
- Add vanilla extract + vinegar + cornflour and beat until combined.
- Pour the meringue mixture to the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread out evenly.
- Put in the oven and immediately lower the temperature to 320 F.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let it cool completely.
To make the filling:
- In a medium bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat the heavy cream until soft peaks.
- Add vanilla extract + confectioner’s sugar and beat until combine.
- Place a clean tea towel over the top of the meringue.
- Turn the meringue onto a work surface.
- Lift the baking pan and peel off the parchment paper.
- Spread two-thirds of the whipped cream over the meringue.
- Arrange fruits and nuts on the whipped cream.
- Note: save some nice pieces of fruits and nuts for decoration
- Roll up the pavlova into a log, start with the longest side closest to you.
- Slice the pavlova log onto a plate with the seam facing downward.
- Pipe the remaining whipping cream on the pavlova log and decorate with the remaining fruits and nuts.
- Serve immediately.