This is the one and only year that our kids are in the same school. And they have to study from home. What a bummer. Here they are listening to the welcome speech from their principal.
On the first day of school…
8-year-old: My science project is to make sound with my dad’s empty beer bottles.
Me [whispering]: Don’t tell your teacher how many we have at home.
School starts just fine, I guess.
Seared tuna with ginger and lime mayonnaisE
(6 servings as appetizer)
(Adapted from Cantinho do Avillez)
2 lbs fresh tuna
2 litres of cold water + 40 g salt
Zest of 1 lemon
8 black peppercorns
100 ml olive oil
Ginger and lime mayonnaise:
4 tbs mayonnaise
1 piece of ginger, about 1″ (grated)
Juice of 1/4 lime
Soy and wasabi emulsion:
4 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp wasabi
2 tbs sesame oil
Zest of 1 lime
Lightly crushed peppercorns
- To make seared tuna:
- Place the tuna in 2 litres of ice-cold water + 40 g salt for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry.
- In a ziplock, marinate tuna with olive oil, lemon zest, and pepper corn.
- Sous vide for 30 minutes at 125 F.
- Let the tuna in the ziplock and cool in an ice-bath.
- To make ginger mayonnaise sauce:
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Set aside.
- To make soy and wasabi emulsion:
- Use a hand blender to mix all ingredients together.
- Set aside.
- To assemble:
- Slice tuna into 1/2″ thin.
- Place sliced tuna on a plate.
- Spoon ginger mayonnaise sauce on top.
- Drizzle with soy and wasabi emulsion.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, and lime zest.
- Serve immediately.