Tada! Our fearless 5-year-old passed the tadpole test last week. That involves a fierce 100-m freestyle swimming, one-minute water treading and one-minute floating on her back. FIVE YEARS OLD!
Now she can go to the deep-end and diving board all by herself.
I’m so proud of her. This also means mommy can read a book on her lounge chair now.
Cantinho chocolate cake
(From Jose Avillez’s Cantinho do Avillez)
225 g chocolate
225 g salted butter (or unsalted butter with a pinch of salt)
185 g sugar
45 g flour
Cracked peppercorns (optional)
Powder sugar or ice-cream or whipping cream (optional)
- Line a 12″ springform pan with parchment paper, and butter the side. Sprinkle cracked peppercorns on the side if using.
- Preheat oven to 320 F.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in bain-maire.
- In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat sugar and eggs until double in volume.
- Slowly add the chocolate mixture into the eggs and sugar. Use a handheld mixer to combine.
- Sift flour into the mixture. Use a handheld mixer to slowly beat until combined. Use a spatula to fold the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely in the pan.
- Serve with whipping cream, or ice-cream, or power sugar if needed.