The kids treated us another amazing restaurant-style dinner under the candle light. This distant learning is great!
Sugar syrup for mooncakes
(From Savoury Days)
To make about 50 mooncakes (125-g each)
500 g sugar
500 g dark-brown sugar
600 ml boiling water
Juice of 1/2 lemon (discard seeds but keep the rest)
1 airtight jar (about 1 quart)
- In a large stockpot, combine sugar + dark brown sugar + boiling water. Stir to combine.
- Weight the stockpot and note down the exact weight.
- Place the stockpot over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, lower the heat to simmer.
- Skim and discard any bubbles.
- Add lemon juice and lemon skin.
- Simmer for about an hour.
- Note: After an hour, weight the stockpot again. The syrup is ready if the current weight is about 400 g less than the initial weight in step 2. If not, continue to simmer.
- Discard the lemon.
- Use a big spoon to ladle the syrup from the stockpot into a jar.
- Note: Avoid scraping the crystalized sugar on the side of the stockpot into the jar.
- When the syrup is completely cool, close the lit and store in a dark cool place.
- The syrup is ready to use in 7-10 days and can be stored in several years.