Hubby was wearing a T-shirt that said “Je suis pas vieux, mais retro” (I’m not old, but vintage).
8-year-old: Papa, what is vintage?
Papa: blah… blah… blah… [long convoluted explanation]
10-year-old (very knowledgeable): Okay, listen. You know there is Iphone 12, right? So, papa is like Iphone 5. Got it?
Papa (heart shattered in pieces): !!!
Soft and Simple chocolate gateau
[Adapted from Savoury Days]
60 g dark chocolate (chopped)
6 eggs (separated)
60 g milk
40 g butter
35 g canola oil
60 g cake flour (sifted)
15 g chocolate powder (sifted)
120 g sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 320F.
- Line a 9″ square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over a saucepan with simmering water.
- In a small bowl, sift cake flour + chocolate powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix milk + butter + canola oil, and heat over the same saucepan with simmering water.
- When the butter is completely melt, remove the bowl from the heat.
- Quickly add cake flour + chocolate powder and whisk until combined.
- Add egg yolks + vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add melted chocolate and fold gently.
- Keep the bowl of the batter warm over the saucepan with hot water above.
- Meanwhile, use a handheld mixer to beat egg white + salt + cream of tartar + sugar until stiff.
- Gently fold egg white into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Put the prepare pan onto another larger pan.
- Pour hot water into the larger pan.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Cool on rack.