On the first day of the lockdown in March, my hubby had a brilliant idea of setting up a drum set in the living room. A *FULL* drum set, mind you. Exactly at the time where we are home 24/7. So, our next home improvement project is a sound-proof basement. Absolutely. Meanwhile, a rock star is in the making.
When is the office going to be open again? I’m desperate!
Egg and olive oil cake
(From Nuno Mendes’s My Lisbon)
100 g sugar
4 eggs + 1 egg yolk
80 ml olive oil
20 g all-purpose flour
Extra-virgin olive oil (to serve)
Flake sea salt (to serve)
- Preheat convection oven to 390 F.
- Line parchment paper on the bottom and on the side of an 8″ round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat sugar + eggs + yolk until light and fluffy.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil into the batter while beating vigorously.
- Sift the flour into the batter and fold gently.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Note: the center of the cake will still be very gooey.
- Remove the cake pan from the oven, and let it sit for 6 hours at room temperature.
- Note: the cake will collapse and set.
- Before serving, drizzle the best extra-virgin olive oil you have with a sprinkle of sea salt.