6-year-old: Mom, why does Halloween have to be at the end of October?
Me: I don’t know.
6-year-old: Maybe because it is a DEAD-end.
Bacon wrapped roasted chicken
(Recipe from our dear friend Shub)
1 whole chicken, about 3.5-4 lbs (preferably free-range heirloom chicken)
1 lemon or orange (quartered)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
Fresh or dried herbs/spices (rosemary, thyme, cumin seeds, etc.)
About 10 slices of bacon
1.5 lb fingerling potatoes (rinsed)
1 large sweet potatoes (rinsed and cut into 4-5 thick pieces)
2 large carrots (peeled and cut into 2″-thick pieces)
- Preheat oven to 400F (convection mode).
- Line a large baking tray with aluminum foil and grease lightly with canola oil.
- Arrange potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots on the prepared baking tray.
- Sprinkle salt + pepper inside the chicken.
- Add lemon/orange pieces and your choices of herbs and spices.
- Wrap the chicken loosely with bacons.
- Place the bacon wrapped chicken on a baking rack placed on top of the prepared roots on step (3).
- Bake for 30-35′.
- Remove the bacons.
- Continue to bake for another 25′.
- Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.