Halloween was back this year! The kids spent the entire month booing their friends in the neighborhood, which involved leaving a bag of candies, ringing the doorbell, and running the hell out of there. For the big day, our kids dressed up as a witch, petit Nicholas, and a princess. They each collected at least 2 pounds of candies to make up for last year. Wish us luck!
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
For a 9″ baking pan, or 8 individual cups
40 g cornstarch (sifted)
100 g sugar
1/8 tsp salt
700 ml whole milk (or a mix of skimmed milk and heavy cream – whatever you have in the fridge)
170 g semi-sweet chocolate (coarsely chopped)
1 tsp vanilla extract (or grand marnier, rum, etc.)
1 package of Oreos (optional)
1 small package of gummy worms (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk cornstarch + sugar + salt.
- While whisking, slowly add milk (or a mixture of milk and heavy cream)
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until thicken while stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Note: the milk must be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the chopped cholate.
- Add vanilla extract, or grand marnier, or rum if desired.
- Pour in a 9″ baking pan or individual cups.
- Note: optional, you can cover with a plastic wrap to avoid pudding skin.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- To decorate (optional):
- Use a food processor to process the cookie parts of the Oreos (discard the cream).
- Spoon plenty of cookie crumbs on top of the chocolate pudding.
- Add gummy worms.