It’s December and we still have an amazing sunny weather.
Slow-cooker butter chicken
(Adapted from New York Times and All Recipes)
2 tbs butter
2 tbs canola oil
1 large yellow onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2″-3″ ginger root (grated)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste + 1 tsp salt
1 tbs curry powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
5 lbs skinless bone-in chicken thighs (cut into 2″ pieces, keep the bones)
1/2 cup yogurt
1 14-ounce coconut cream
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt butter and canola oil.
- Add chopped onion and cook until soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic + grated ginger, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste + 1 tsp salt
- Add all the spices (curry powder + ground cumin + ground coriander + ground cardamom + ground pepper + ground cinnamon + ground cloves + ground nutmeg). Cook for 2 minutes.
- In a slow cooker, put chicken thighs + bones.
- Pour mixture on step 5 on top.
- Add yogurt + coconut cream + heavy cream (if using.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cook on High heat setting for 3 hours.
- Before serving, readjust salt and pepper if necessary.