We were in Dubrovnik and the weather app was crazy…
Me: Oh crap! It looks like it will be raining all day today.
Colleague: Don’t worry! The only worse projection than our macro outlook is our weather forecast.
Levain Bakery oatmeal raisin scones
(Adapted from Food Network)
To make about 20 scones
300 g oatmeal
140 g dried raisins
360 g all-purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbs baking powder
180 g sugar
3 sticks butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
1 cup milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream (or 1 1/4 cup half-and-half)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal + raisins + flour + salt + baking powder + sugar.
- Add butter pieces.
- Use your hands to mix all ingredients.
- Add milk + heavy cream to the mixture.
- Use an wooden spoon to mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough onto kitchen counter.
- Pat the dough into 1″ thick.
- Use a dough cutter to cut into triangular (about 2″ each side).
- Note: if the dough is too sticky, dip the dough cutter into flour between cuts.
- Place the scones onto the lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.