Gaborone is full of attitude!
Me: Is Bull and Bush a good place to visit?
Taxi driver: Oh, very busy tonight, m’am. It’s ladies-night-out.
Me: I’m totally in. Let’s go!!
Taxi driver: Well… m’am… there will be… lots of men with money…
(Lesson learnt: Google is not always your best friend. Locals are.)
(Adapted from Linh Trang’s Nhat ky hoc lam banh 2)
For about 18 apple turnovers
1 package of frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
1 tbs butter
250 g apple (cored, cut into 1/4″ cubes)
30 g light brown sugar
1 pince of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanila extract
5 g corn starch
1 egg (beaten)
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Add apple, sugar, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and corn starch.
- Mix well, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare 2 lined baking trays.
- Divide each sheet of puff pastry into 9 squares.
- Brush egg liquid on the sides of each square.
- Place some apple mixture in the center, fold to make a triangle.
- Use a fork to press the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Switch trays in oven for evenly baked.
- Bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with ice-cream and butterscotch sauce (recipe below).
4 tbs butter
118 ml heavy cream
109 g dark or light brown sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Add heavy cream, sugar and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Readjust if needed (I usually add a pinch of salt).