I always know my husband has a BIG head.
Hanoi-style grilled pork with vermicelli (Bún chả Hà Nội)
A. Grilled pork
500 g pork belly (thinly sliced)
500 g ground pork
2 shallots (minced)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
3 tbs fish sauce
3 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs caramel sauce
B. Dipping sauce
1 carrot (peeled, thinly sliced)
1/2 cabbage turnip, or 1/2 jicama, or 1 small piece of green papaya (thinly sliced)
2 tsp salt
2 tbs vinegar
1 tbs sugar
150 g sugar
1 1/2 cup hot water
12 tbs fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
6 garlic cloves (minced)
1 Thai chili (minced, optional)
C. To serve
1/2 package of dried vermicelli
Fresh vegetables (lettuce, cilantro, perilla, etc.)
Sliced cucumber, optional
To make grilled pork
- In a small bowl, mix minced shallot, minced garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and caramel sauce.
- Use 1/2 sauce mixture to marinate ground pork.
- Use the remaining mixture to marinate sliced pork belly.
- Before serving, grill meat on charcoal.
To make dipping sauce
- In a small bowl, add 2 tsp salt to sliced carrot and cabbage turnips/jicama/green papaya. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Rinse carrot and cabbage turnips/jicama/green papaya and dry.
- Add 2 tbs vinegar + 1 tbs sugar. Set aside for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, mix 150 g sugar with 1 1/2 cup hot water until dissolved.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice, minced garlic, and minced chili if using.
- Add carrot and cabbage mixture in (2).
- Add ground pepper.
- Serve grilled meat with fresh vegetables, cooked vermicelli, and dipping sauce.